CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Bonnie Somerville - Winding Road

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 3, 2008

    The News

    So I am sitting in Starbucks right now with brother Whipple (a.k.a. Tim Whipple, a.k.a. Tom Whopple...) listening to salsa... and I feel like I'm in El Rancho.

    OK, totally random way to open up my blog. But onto something kind of serious.

    http://www.tmz.com/2008/02/28/ellen-torn-up-over-gay-murder/

    It was empowering listening to Ellen speak. I often times find myself trying to separate myself from anything "gay" because I don't want to be labeled as some crazy queer liberal (even though those close to me know that I am). But this struck a nerve. I'm lucky. I'm lucky I live in a city that is at least semi-tolerable of homosexuals because there are plenty of towns that would have you killed even for suggesting that you were gay.

    Is this really what those who fight for "family values" want? A 15 year old killed for sending a Valentine to another boy? This country needs a change. I know I can't do it by myself and I can't do it over night... but it needs to happen.

    The gay community really needs to come together on these issues. Stop leaving the fighting to those who are "new" to being out of the closet and are in their "advocate" stage. Those that date the same sex but don't fight have no right to complain about our lack of freedoms. Apathy is what is keeping us down...

    I'm not a second class citizen...

    1 comments:

    curly sue said...

    dj, i agree with everything you have said. and to add, allies need to be standing up and fighting as well. it is great if you support on the ballot or support your friends, but if you aren't standing up in the heat of the moment, what is the point? heterosexual allies have the privilege, and they need to be using it!

    sorry to go off on my soap box, but these issues are close to my heart as well!